St Joseph's School was opened in 1919 by three Sisters of St Joseph. Sister Marie Therese was appointed the first Principal of the school. The single-classroom school and convent were formally opened and blessed on Sunday, 19 January 1919, by Bishop Carroll, assisted by Father Cullen, the Parish Priest of Ballina.
In 1981 Alstonville was made a separate parish, with Father Darcy McCarthy being appointed the first Parish Priest. His leadership continued until his death in 1991 when Father Frank Mulcahy became the Parish Priest.
1986 saw the withdrawal of the Sisters of St Joseph and the administration being handed on to the first lay principal. The St Joseph Sisters continued their presence in the school for another year, leaving the school with a total lay staff in 1988.
The school population remained static until the early 1980s when Alstonville experienced a residential development boom. This brought the first major construction development in 1988 with four new brick classrooms, a foyer and girls’ toilets. More facilities were added to the School in 1992, including two more brick classrooms and a boys’ toilet.
From 1989, the old Convent was used as the School Library. However, the Library was eventually moved to the School Hall due to the rapid population growth, with the Convent turned into an additional classroom.
1998 saw the building and opening of the new School Library and Administration block.
On Sunday, 18 June 2006, Bishop Geoffrey Jarrett officially opened six new learning spaces and the new Parish Hall and Canteen.
In 2012, upon the retirement of Father Mulcahy, Father Max Gow was appointed Parish Priest of Our Lady of the Rosary Parish Alstonville and St Patrick’s Parish Wardell.
In 2019 we celebrated our Centenary with a week of community events, including a Mass, dinner and Centenary celebration day.